Monday, September 21, 2009

Long weekend

It's been a long weekend in Singapore. Today, Monday, has been a public holiday due to Hari Raya Aidilfitri that celebrates the end of Ramadan. We thought about going somewhere away from the city for a mini-holiday, but decided not to, as Saturday was the first day both of us got to visit Rekku at the quarantine, and because half of this region was moving across borders for the holiday season anyway. So instead, we did some touristy things in our 'hometown'.
Yesterday we visited Chinatown and Little India, both of which are in their festive gear at the moment. Chinatown, as well as the whole Singapore, celebrates the Mid-Autumn festival. There were a lot of decorations everywhere and what made me glad - there were also lanterns made from recycled material such as disposable plates and water bottles.
Chinatown has a little kiosk that sells durian pancakes! I must seem like I have an obsession about the fruit ;) ..even though I have yet to taste it :D I just simply find it interesting how an ugly looking fruit that smells so bad I can't stay in the same room with it is actually the delicacy to so many. I know, I must try it..
Little India was buzzing with people, especially with men in moustaches ;) We visited Mustafa's 24h department store "shortly" - meaning we were there for quite a while but did not go very far :D I would like to go back to both areas of the city in the evening to see the decorations and lights at night.
Today we visited Kusu Island. It is a small island outside of S'pore, and just like I was hoping it would be, it was nice and quiet, with only a handful of people visiting it. It was relaxing laying on the beach, listening to the waves of the ocean and to the weirdest noises from the birds, so close to the busy city. Unfortunately the weather wasn't perfect and we decided to go back later, when Rekku is out from the quarantine (small dogs are allowed on the ferry, and Rekku sure can be small when needed..). On the way back (on the ferry) the rain was so heavy the whole scenery turned grey and smog-like.
Kusu Island, the tortoise island, had a turtle sanctuary, which on the map and in my mind seemed like it would be something great, a chance to see turtles in a natural environment etc. ..but no. It was a disappointment. Small cement pond, dirty water, lots of turtles.. sad, really. I was reminded of St.Petersburg Zoo, which has kept me away from zoos ever since my visit in 1998. But then again, it is the way things are in Asia.
Luckily dogs are treated well in the quarantine station :) Tomorrow I get to go visit Rekku again. The quarantine is not open on Sundays nor public holidays. I worry about him, especially because there's been a bit of thunder again today, and the thunder last week scared him. Staff at the quarantine have no doubt kept their eye on him and tomorrow I will get a full report on how he has been. Hopefully Rekku will get used to the thunder storms quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment