Thursday, October 22, 2009

feeling at home

Someone asked me earlier this week if our dog is yet feeling at home here in Singapore. I think he is getting there. In the flat he's at home, since we have all our own furniture, and outside he already knows the near neighbourhood; which corner to turn to get home, where his new good friend Urho lives and where his local shop is (I believe this is just as important to him as to me :D). Rekku is eating the same food as he has been for years, and from similar bowls as he did at the quarantine, but he is not eating very well. Today it hit me when he was again wanting to go out at about 5pm. The quarantine. 30 days of eating and going out at an exact time everyday.. that's why he has been hungry and wanting to go out 'at weird times'.

I've been also been thinking of myself. Am I feeling at home in Singapore? To me, being with my family and having things to do - things that I love to do - is the minimum. So when Rekku got home and we got into the agility practice group the minimum was filled. Having an internet connection and our own familiar furniture also helps, as does having an eco/organic store, grocery store, the body shop and a pet supplies store close by. Having great neighbours and a few good friends is a big bonus.. So yes, I can say that I feel at home here.

Today the feeling at home got a little stronger, as I visited the hairdresser's and survived. In Finland I've been going to the same excellent hairdresser for years, and the last time I lived abroad I grew my hair longer (due to bad experiences with Glaswegian hairdresser's 10 years ago), so I was seriously nervous today. I suppose the hairdresser (director of the place, I thought I ought to play it safe and ask for the highest ranking and most expensive) noticed, since the only small talk we made was about how long I have been in Singapore and is this my first time at hairdresser's. We also spoke about my hair, and when he said he has his own way of cutting hair, I remembered that being director does not necessarily mean skill in Asia as many get their jobs using their connections (i.e. who you know is more important than what you know..). But hey, my hair turned out just as it was supposed to, so all ok! :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment