Monday, October 5, 2009

a doggy day

Sunday was a doggy day. In the morning we visited the SPCA's Paws and Purrs event, which was held at their facilities in honour of the world animal day. There were all kinds of activities; a dog trainer present for getting tips, product sales, info booths and a chance to get a cool tattoo for the day:

There were also ways you could help; bring food, join the SPCA, adopt a pet.. (yep, it was the topic of the day..). We got to visit part of the shelter facilities:

The SPCA takes in about 700 homeless / stray pets every month. They are all examined by a vet, and according to their condition, either put down or put in the shelter for adoption. Only about 10% get adopted. 10%!! That's not enough..

I registered as volunteer, and if they need me, I will start working sometime later this month. I hope I can do something that will help the SPCA in their work, and the animals in need.

There were dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters.. all kinds of pets, and from all age groups, without a home. Most of them will stay at the shelter if no home is found for them. Some took the day in a very relaxed way..

In the afternoon I took part in the agility training Rekku and I got into. It was the first of practice sessions that will be weekly for the next three months. It is a group of trialers, i.e. dogs&owners who compete in agility and can practice independently.

Rekku is still in quarantine until the 14th, so I followed while the others practiced, and got to know people and the way their practice group works. Everyone was really nice! I also participated a little bit ;) At about 5:30 the group got organised and did runs through the full course one at a time, so when everyone planned their run I also planned how I would do it, if Rekku had been there.

The practice session was very relaxed, like a bunch of friends getting together. Most dogs were of lead, and behaved very well, although some were simply wondering among the obstacles while others practiced. To me it seemed a tiny bit chaotic at times and I wonder how Rekku and I will fit into the group, as we like our concentration and space when we practice.. I suppose the heat calms them all down :)

No comments:

Post a Comment