Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Seeing the doctor

I went to see a doctor yesterday. It was interesting.. The whole system is a bit different here in Singapore. I know there is a University Hospital and I think there are some local health centres.. in which one would need to que for hours (?) before seeing a doctor, but would not need to pay so much. The easier option is to go to the nearest private medical center that is mentioned in the orientation guides for expats. This, quite naturally, is no means inexpensive.

Back home I can choose from a few private medical centres that have a range of doctors of different fields, call up or just book an apointment online. Here, I called and was told that they would call back once they found out which doctor is available. Ok.. but no one called back. Well, I called them again, and was told just to come in and they would direct me to the doctor who was available at that time. No waiting time. Hmm.. does not sound very busy!

So in the lobby the receptionist browsed through her binder and called up a doctor (looked like she simply called the one her eyes fell upon first) - and since he was available, up the office tower I went. The Medical Centre was actually full of small practices, even just one-doctor-firms, all working on their own under same roof. I was happy with the care I got, don't get me wrong, but I was wondering if it had been ok for me to ask for the prices before hand and choose the doctor somehow according to price..?

No comments:

Post a Comment