Thursday, March 11, 2010

Back to business?

I was at a job interview today. It was fun! Nerveracking, quite naturally, but the interviewer was such a nice chap I really enjoyed our talk. As part of the interview I had to give a 10 minute presentation on a topic I was given beforehand. I have never done that at an interview, so despite of my experience in giving presentations and my timely preparation for it, I was nervous. I thought it went well.. But we'll see. The position I applied for is a corporate communication role, so there was also a written excercise to do. Although that was familiar stuff too, it felt a bit like a test! Ha, I have never been very good with them..

I have now applied for a few different jobs here in Singapore. Why? Well, I keep busy as a lady of leisure too, and I would not say my life is boring, but I have started to miss the professional challenges. I just did not act on the feeling until two important men in my life asked me about looking for a job in the same week - that's a bit of a kick in the butt, isn't it? Perhaps ladies of leisure sometimes need them :).

The interview was at a European company. The other jobs I have applied for have been at local higher education institutions. No word from them.. not even a reply to my e-mails. Hmmhph. Is it because they are actually looking for locals but not stating it in the ad because it's not politically correct? Naturally one would think I'm not qualified for the jobs I applied for, but I actually am, so that's not it. Am I asking for too much salary? I know local education institutions would not pay much, but then again I'm not sure I would return to work for the sake of the job experience if the pay was e.g. 600 euros (the salary of a job in animal welfare organisation I would have applied for if I was Singaporean and spoke Mandarin.. so depends on the job).

So, must be that I do not have the connections? A fellow Finn said she has applied for around 60 vacancies with no luck - because it's all about connections here. And, if you do not state it clearly, they think you are a lady of leisure with a return ticket home in a year or two, so no use hiring..

No comments:

Post a Comment