Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Turning the next page

It's already the last day of the year. How..? Who fast forwarded the time..? One year ago, moving to Singapore was nothing but a big bunch of maybe's. Later on in the spring it became a reality and the planning started. First I thought I will start looking for a job in Singapore immediately. BUT I was working, so I had no time. Then I thought I will wait until I visit the place - do a bit of research there and then look for a job during the summer. BUT I was busy with moving, hobbies, work.. Then I thought I will look for a job while Rekku's in quarantine (I'll have plenty of time then, won't I?). BUT I had so many other things to do, and besides, it had become clear that it is not easy for a non-Singaporean, non-Permanent Resident to get a job and the wages are generally low (1200 SGD, about 600 EUR per month seems to be quite standard) and quite a few job advertisements mentioned 'minimum for two years'.. Then I thought I'll give myself this autumn, do a bit of work online to Finland and concentrate on my volunteering jobs - and just enjoy life. By this time, end of the year - my latest deadline - I have realised it is quite a lot of fun not working. The time flies, I have so many things to do (a long, long list of things yet to do..) and working full time seems impossible, I mean, how would I then have time to do everything else? (How did I manage before, whan i worked and did everything else too..?)

I sometimes miss work; the challenges, the social scene, the problem solving, developing, professionalism.. meetings, team work, satisfaction of succesfully getting something done. Cleaning the house just does not come close. I would also like to find out about the Singaporean working culture, get a deeper look into the society. (Really trying not to live in an 'expat bubble'.) So now, I don't know. We have visitors from Finland all January, going to Bali in February.. Does not sound like a good time to try to find a job, eh? So I guess I'll simply try to get organised with all the other things I want to do and really try to have less BUTs and more satisfying moments of being able the tick away tasks on my 'to do' list. It does not sound like a big new year's resolution, especially since it is the same I always make(together with living a heathier and a more sustainable lifestyle). But, hey, recycling is very much the in-thing in Singapore :)

No comments:

Post a Comment