Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Homesick

Finally. I have been waiting for it to get to me, and finally it did. Not in a very strong sense, since I'm not feeling blue or depressed in any way, but I do miss home. Or Finland, really, since Singapore is my home now :) So I'm not really homesick, am I? I'm more like Finland-sick, ha!

I suppose I have had it coming for a while. I haven't really felt the usual phases of culture shock, perhaps because of my 'pre-visit' in June, and I don't feel irritated by Singapore or the local culture (not more than I usually do anyhow!) but I do have a longing for snow, crisp, cool weather, friends and family..

I think the 'last nail in the coffin' was the snow they got in Finland last night. I read about it just now on Facebook, naturally, due to time difference. I miss it! The glorious moment of first snow of the autumn. The atmosphere it brings, the exitement and the light. True magic, as my good friend knows :) Now that i think of it, I completely understand that snow is one of Finland's most important tourism arguments.

I spoke to family last night on skype. My smallest brother has his birthday on Friday and I'll miss it. Work colleagues are at one of the most fun annual seminars, experiencing the culture and hospitality on Bydgoszcz (Poland) and I'm missing it. My teammates at the local kennel club in Hyvinkää have been really pouring in the congrats for our win on Sunday. I miss the peer support they give. And yesterday at the mall, I was looking at the jackets, jumpers, woollen scarves and hats (I'm getting use to the craziness of them being sold here) and felt an urge to touch them, to wear them. I miss wearing winter clothes, how crazy is that?

Naturally, there are plenty of things, activities, people etc. to make up for all I miss, and I can put the air conditioning to as low as it goes and start 'rolling' my own snowball (should put it in the freezer for a bit, I think), but perhaps the best medicine is getting a good friend, with her bag hopefully full of rye bread and real liquorice, to visit. Just a few more days now!

1 comment:

  1. Voi miten hyvin ymmärrän kaipuusi. Toisaalta, kun talvea on kestänyt viikko pari, vaihtaisin helposti tropiikkiin nämä kylmät loskasäät :) Viimeistään joulun jälkeen saisi mielestäni alkaa kevät!

    Rutisuta lumipalloa ja kaappaa tämä lähettämäni iso hali täältä kaukaakaukaa sinne kauaskaus!

    ReplyDelete